Following our interview with the Department for Education it was hoped we would receive a decision on the success of our bid by the end of June.
We have been in contact with the DfE this week and they have confirmed that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, their interview process has understandably been delayed. They now hope to be able to inform us of their decision in September.
Our aim would still be to open in September 2021, however that would need to be agreed with the DfE should we be successful in our application.
We know that some parents of children currently in Year 5 were concerned that this would mean a tight deadline for applying for a place for their son or daughter to start with us in 2021 as this usually happens before the end of October.
There is precedent from our opening in Doncaster for a later admissions deadline in the first year of opening.
Whilst of course we cannot confirm anything until XP Gateshead is confirmed by the DfE, we have a strong relationship with the Local Authority.
To reassure parents, if we do get the go ahead to open in September 2021, we will work closely with the Local Authority in Gateshead to make sure that the admissions process is carried out in a fair way, both to applicants to our school and for the other secondary schools in the borough.
Thanks once again for all of your messages of support. We’ll be keeping our fingers crossed until September. In the meantime, we remain focussed on the important work of preparing to bring XP’s education to Gateshead for your children.